Platform: TVs, Video Game Consoles, Streaming Devices, etc.
Affiliation: Everyone with a Bronco NetID
Devices without a standard internet browser, such as a TV or game console, will need to be manually registered on the network using a device that is already registered and connected to WMU Secure, WMU ResNet 5 GHz, or WMU Open (such as a computer or smartphone). If you have not yet registered a different device on our network, please visit our WMU Secure setup instructions page. Alternatively, feel free to submit a request to the Help Desk for assistance with registration of your internet-connected device.
Step 1. Find the MAC Address
A MAC address is a unique address used to identify your device on the network and is typically found in the settings section of your device. Please consult your device owner's manual for assistance in locating its MAC address.
- You may find a MAC address listed as a physical address, Wi-Fi address, or Ethernet ID, etc, for example, MAC address: 00:AA:11:BB:22:CC.
Step 2. Register Your Device on the Wireless Network
Internet-connected devices such as TVs and game consoles must connect to the WMU ResNet 5 GHz or WMU Open network, as they typically do not support the authentication method of WMU Secure.
- Connect the device you are registering to the WMU ResNet 5 GHz or WMU Open network (WMU ResNet 5 GHz is recommended for the best experience). If your device automatically conducts a connection test, it may fail at this point, and this is expected.
- Using a device already registered and connected to WMU Secure, WMU ResNet 5 GHz, or WMU Open (such as your laptop or smartphone), navigate to our wireless registration page. This link is only accessible when connected to the campus network.
- Review the Acceptable Use Policy and click Agree.
- Click Register a Media or Entertainment Device.
- Enter your Bronco NetID, password, and MAC address of your device from Step 1 and click Register.
- Wait 5 minutes and reboot your device. Your device is now registered. If necessary, re-connect your device to the WMU ResNet 5 GHz or WMU Open network.
Due to the complexity and size of our wireless network, some home consumer devices are not compatible with wireless at WMU.
- Google Home
- Some Nintendo DS consoles
- Nintendo Wii
- Smart home devices like light bulbs
- Some Roku devices, including television sets with Roku built-in. (If you would like to use a Roku device, we recommend a model with Ethernet connectivity)
- Wireless printers
- VIZIO SmartCast TV