Step 1 - Make Sure Letter Grades Appear in Final Grade Columns
In order to transfer grades to the Student Information System (Banner), the grade will need to appear in a letter format. This must be set up by creating a scheme within Elearning. To check this go to the Assessments tab and select Grades. You will see your Final Calculated Grade column and it should be showing a letter grade. These columns are used to export both Midterm and Final Grades.
If your Final Calculated Grade does not also have a letter, you can learn how to Create Gradebook Scheme (Grading Scale).
Step 2 - Transfer the Final Calculated Grade to the Final Adjusted Grade Column
The Final Adjusted Grade column is used for transferring grades to the SIS. The column does not automatically calculate, so we must move the grade from the Final Calculated Grade column to the Final Adjusted Grade column. To do so:
- Click the Assessments tab along the top and select Grades in the submenu
- From the Enter Grades tab (Elearning will default to this tab), select the Final Calculated Grade drop-down menu under Final Grades.
- Select Enter Grades from the dropdown list. The Final Grades page will open.
- On the new page, select the Final Grades drop-down menu at the top of the page.
- Select Transfer All (This will transfer all Final Calculated Grades to Final Adjusted Grades).
- Final Adjusted Grades will now be populated and ready to be sent to the student information system (SIS).
- Select Save and Close at the bottom of the screen, this will navigate back to the Enter Grades page.
Step 3 - Export Grades to the SIS
- Click the Assessments tab along the top and select Grades in the submenu if you are returning at a later time from step 2.
- From the Enter Grades tab (Elearning will default to this tab), select the Export to SIS button along the top of your gradebook.
- On the following screen, Export Grades to SIS, select the type of grade to export (Final or Midterm). Once you select Midterm or Final, you will be redirected to a new page.
- For Final Grades Only: If a student is receiving an E, the Last Date of Attendance page will be opened. Enter the student’s last date of attendance or select the date box to open a calendar to choose the date. If the student never attended the course, select the first day of the course as the date.
- From the Export Grades to SIS page ensure all grades are accurate. Grades can be overridden or submitted as “I” for incomplete by selecting the pencil icon.
- Select Export All Grades to submit.
- For Courses with Combined Sections Only: Grades are submitted one section at a time. Select the section from the drop-down menu and select apply for each section.
- After selecting Export All Grades, a status page will open followed by results of the export for each student:
- Accepted by SIS: The grade was successfully submitted
- Out of Date: The grade has been updated and needs to be re-sent
- Not Ready to Send: There is no grade for the student
- Error: The grade could not be exported
- If you receive an error exporting grades, please contact the Instructional Technology Center (269) 387-6958) as soon as possible. Instructors can also check their Midterm or Final Grade Sheet in GoWMU to verify grades have been submitted.