Platform: Cisco VoIP Phones
The Office of Information Technology is pleased to announce the implementation of a new voicemail system that integrates with W-Exchange for faculty and staff. This is an exciting change and is a well-needed upgrade for collaboration and communication on campus. We'd like to make you aware of the process and help your department prepare for and make decisions about the transition.
Overview of W-Exchange Voicemail
- messages are delivered to your W-Exchange email inbox in addition to your traditional phone voicemail inbox
- there is no limit on the number of messages you can store in your voicemail inbox
- you can easily access and manage your messages from an email client, web browser, desk phone, smartphone, tablet and more
- you can customize and manage greetings with the same level of flexibility as accessing your messages
- it will completely replace our existing legacy voicemail
- a departmental voicemail audit will need to take place
- a transition schedule and audit worksheet will be provided by our OIT-Telecommunications department
- our team will work with an identified departmental contact to facilitate the audit
- once the audit is complete, the technical work will be finalized per schedule
- once the transition is complete, all phones that did not get set up with the new voicemail will no longer have voicemail service
- identify the correct contact person in your department who will work with OIT-Telecommunications during this transition and who will audit voicemail use of your department
- start the conversation with your department's decision-makers, i.e. VPs, Directors, Deans
- review business processes to start identifying which phones/faculty/staff will need to be transitioned to the new voicemail
Known Issues Caused By Having Two Separate Voicemail Systems
- Voice messages can not be replied to or forwarded between systems.
- Users on the old voicemail system will not be listed in the W-Exchange voicemail directory.
Differences Between The Old and New Voicemail Systems
Old Voicemail System
- Dial # 74000 on campus, (269) 387-4000 off-campus.
- Users prompted for mailbox number and password.
- Deleted messages are gone. No deleted items folder.
- The number of messages based on a total count.
- Users can have one alias address.
New W-Exchange Voicemail System
- Dial # 73000 on campus, (269) 387-3000 off-campus.
- Users prompted for Id and Pin.
- Deleted messages moved to the deleted items folder (Seven-day retention period).
- No limit on the number of messages. Based on storage space, not message count.
- Users can have alternate extensions assigned. (Mobile, Home, etc.).
- Users will receive E-mails with an attached audio (.wav) file with the voice message recording.
- Web Inbox URL: https://voicemail.wmich.edu/