The Dropbox allows students to submit deliverables. Deliverables can be written papers, PowerPoint presentations, PDF files, audio files or any file created outside D2L. This article contains a video demonstration and written instructions on how to use the dropbox.
Step 1 - Go to Dropbox
- Click "Assessments" from the navigation bar.
- Select Dropbox in the submenu
Step 2 - Create a New Folder
In the Dropbox area, click on "New Folder" to create an assignment.
Step 3 - Edit Dropbox Details
- Enter a name
- Choose if you want the dropbox to be graded or not
- If you want this to remain ungraded, leave it as it is and move to the next field.
- If you want to grade this assignment, click on Ungraded. This will switch the box to allow a point value to be assigned. Additional options will expand for attaching a grade item. Look at Step 4 for additional details.
- Enter a Due Date
- Optional - Add instructions using the HTML text editor
- Optional - Add attachments or media
- The black icons along the left hand side allow for document attachments or links from outside sources.
- The blue icons along the right side allow for recording video and audio within the Elearning system.
(Optional) Step 4 - Add Grades to Dropbox
When you click on Ungraded, the box will switch to points and add a gradebook dropdown.
- Enter the number of points the assignment is worth
- Choose one of three options:
- Edit or Link to Existing - link to an existing grade item or create a new item to be placed in your gradebook
- Not in Gradebook - have points assigned to the dropbox, but it isn't connected to the gradebook in any way
- Reset to Ungraded - removes the points option and changes the points box back to the "Ungraded" default
- Optional - If you select Edit or Link to Existing a new window appears to attach the grade item
- Create and link to a new grade item - this will place a new grade item in your gradebook. Be aware that you cannot change the name and it will stay the same as the name and point value of the dropbox. The name can be edited from your Manage Grades area.
- Link to an existing grade item - selecting this will show a dropdown list of your items to choose from.
Step 5 - Adding Availability Dates & Conditions
NOTE: All settings in this area are optional.
This area allows you to add Start Dates, End Dates, Release Conditions and Special Access. To expand this section, click on the Availability Dates & Conditions title along the right hand side. Clicking on it again will collapse the section.
- Start Date - determines when the students can see the dropbox details and begin submitting
- End Date - determines the last available day students can access and submit to the dropbox
- Release Conditions - unique conditions set by the instructor. Please reach out to the Instructional Technology Center for assistance
- Special Access - allows students access to the dropbox outside of the date parameters set by the instructor for all other students
Step 6 - Submission & Completion
NOTE: All settings in this area are optional and some settings are only available based on the setting selections made.
This area allows you to change the assignment to individual or group assignment types, determine how files are submitted and notification emails. To expand this section, click on the Submission & Completion title along the right hand side. Clicking on it again will collapse the section.
- Assignment Type
- Individual - each students submits on their own and is graded individually
- Group - allows groups of students (must be set up in groups with the groups function of Elearning) to submit a single assignment and have each member receive the same grade and feedback on an assignment.
- Submission Type
- File submission - students submit documents from their own files to the dropbox
- Text submission - a text box is given where students type their responses in the system for submission
- On paper submission - creates a placeholder for instructors that are collecting paper submissions in an in-person setting
- Observed in person - creates a placeholder for instructors that are reviewing presentations in a classroom setting
- Files Allowed Per Submission - determines the number of items a student can upload for a single submission. Limited to one or unlimited only
- Allowable File Extensions - please contact the Instructional Technology Center for assistance if you wish to restrict file type submissions
- All submissions are kept - a record of all student submissions is kept
- Only one submission allowed - once a student submits they can no longer submit again
- Only the most recent submission is kept - the most recent submission will overwrite the previous submission made by a student
- Notification Email - used to notify when a submission has been made. Recommended only when this is wanted by the instructor of if you want to notify a TA/GA about a submission to assist with grading
Step 6 - Evaluation & Feedback
NOTE: All settings in this area are optional.
This area allows you to add rubrics, learning objectives, annotation tools and anonymous marking to your assignment. To expand this section, click on the Evaluation & Feedback title along the right hand side. Clicking on it again will collapse the section.
- Rubrics - add existing rubrics or create a new one to add
- Learning Objectives - not used within the system, this can be skipped
- Annotation Tools - allows for annotating directly in the Elearning system on student submissions
- Anonymous Marking - hides all student names until all papers are graded. Please reach out to the Instructional Technology Center for assistance or additional questions with this tool
Step 7 - Save and Close
Click "Save and Close" to finish creating the dropbox.