WMU 3D Printers Producing Face Sheilds For Health Care Workers
Western Michigan University’s 3D printers aren’t sitting idle during the pandemic. Instead, staff and professors from multiple campus departments are using them to produce personal protective equipment —specifically, face shields—for health care workers who desperately need them during the COVID-19 patient surge.
For more information regarding this initiative, please see here.
Request a 3D Print
The 3D printing service is a free service that allows students, faculty, and staff to request prints of 3D objects. A great community for finding 3D objects can be found on Thingiverse. Once the print has been completed, you will be notified by email. Prints can be picked up from the Help Desk during regular business hours.
3D Printing Information
All 3D print requests are currently free. We may explore charging printing tokens in the future.
- Size: 200 x 200 x 200mm. Your print job must be completed in less than two print jobs.*
- Design: When submitting your own design, ensure that the exported file is in millimeters.
- File Type: Please submit all 3D models as .stl files.
- Color: Your model will be printed using a rotating random color. A list of colors is available upon request. Please note that requesting a specific color may increase wait time.
- Material: We currently only stock PLA filament. Your model must not exceed 250 grams of material.*
- Time: In order to provide a timely service for all patrons, jobs that require more than 6 hours of print time will receive lower priority. Your model must not exceed 24 hours of print time.*
- Multiple Orders: Patrons may only have one pending 3D print order at a time. New orders may not enter the queue until the previous order has been completed. If multiple orders are submitted, the first order will remain in the queue, however, the remaining orders will be canceled.
Note: We may make exceptions on a case by case basis for academic or research projects. If your academic or research projects are hindered by the listed limitations, please include your special requirements in the 3D print request.
3D PRINTING RULES
Note to Instructors: Due to fluctuating demand and delivery times, the 3D printing service may not be used as a requirement for your curriculum.
No one will be permitted to print objects that are:
- Prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
- Unsafe, harmful, dangerous, or poses an immediate threat to the well-being of others.
- Obscene, offensive, or otherwise inappropriate.
- In violation of intellectual property rights.
- 3D printing is available to all current WMU students, staff, and faculty. Student requests will receive priority.
- 3D prints not collected within two weeks become the property of the Office of Information Technology.