Platform: Windows, macOS, Linux OS, mobile devices and Web Browsers
Microsoft offers a 30% discount on yearly Microsoft 365 Personal and Family subscriptions to employees of Western Michigan University.
Purchase Microsoft Office 365 Subscription
Step 1. Check Eligibility
The Microsoft Home Use Program is available to any employee of Western Michigan University. It is recommended that you first check your eligibility for free Office 365 before proceeding with the Microsoft Home Use Program. If you are not eligible for free Office 365 or you wish to take advantage of a discounted family plan, instructions for accessing the Microsoft Home Use Program are below.
Who is Microsoft Home Use Program for?
- Retirees & Emeriti
- Employees that do not receive Microsoft Office for free from WMU but need Office for personal use
- Employees that want a Microsoft account for personal cloud storage
- Employees that need Microsoft Office access for their family members
Who is Microsoft Home Use Program Not for?
- Eligible students, faculty, and staff of free Office 365 - check your availability
- Those in need of an email client. For users looking to add their email to an email client, it is recommended that you use the free alternatives listed below
- Anyone not currently employed at, or retired from, WMU
Step 2. Complete Purchase
- Confirm that you currently have or just created a personal Microsoft Account per the warning above.
- Visit the Microsoft Home Use Program page and enter your @wmich.edu email address.
- You will receive an email to your @wmich.edu account from Microsoft with a link to sign-in with your personal Microsoft account (from step 1).
- Once signed in, you will be taken to a page with options to purchase a personal or family plan at a 30% discount.
Free Alternatives to Microsoft Office
Office 365 Online Apps
Microsoft Office Online allows you to access and edit your documents from within W-Exchange. The Microsoft Office Online applications give you many of the same features as the desktop applications that are included in Office 365 but all work must be down within your web browser.
Google Apps for Education
Google Apps for Education is a free alternative to many of the applications in the Office 365 suite. Below is a list of commonly used Office 365 applications and the Google alternative:
- Word › Google Docs
- PowerPoint › Google Slides
- Excel › Google Sheets
- Outlook on the web
- Mail application built into Windows 10
- Mail application built into macOS
- Mail application built into iOS and Android
Microsoft Office One-Time Purchase Alternatives
Microsoft Office Home & Student 2019
Microsoft Office Home & Students 2019 includes Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
Microsoft Office Professional 2019
Microsoft Office Professional 2019 includes all features of the Home and Student version plus Microsoft Access and Microsoft Publisher.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if I leave WMU?
Your subscription remains active and the discount continues to apply as long as you maintain recurring billing on your subscription.
If I purchase a subscription using the Home Use Program offer, how long will my discount last?
You will receive the same Home Use Program discount rate as your original purchase for as long as you maintain recurring billing on your subscription.
How can I manage my subscription?
To manage your billing information, install Microsoft 365 from additional PCs or Macs, and manage your installs of Microsoft 365 on other devices, go to https://account.microsoft.com/services/ and sign in using your Microsoft account.
Can I take advantage of the Home Use Program offer if I already have Microsoft 365 Family or Microsoft 365 Personal?
Yes. If you already have Microsoft 365 Family or Microsoft 365 Personal, you can still take advantage of this discount. Once you purchase, additional time is added to your existing subscription, and the discounted rate will begin at your existing subscription’s annual renewal date. Be sure to specify the Microsoft account that’s associated with your current Microsoft 365 subscription during the purchase process.