This guidance document will show you how to add a hyperlink into your course content area. Depending on how you are organizing your course you may need to use one or both of the following ways to include hyperlinks into your content area.
PART I - Content - Add links into Content area
Part I - Explains how to add a hyperlink as an item in the content area.
Step 1 - Go to Content Area
Step 2 - Go to Module
Click on the module where you wish to add a hyperlink.
Step 3 - Click "New"
- At the top of the module click "new"
- In the menu select "Create a link"
Step 4 - Title and Link
- Enter in the title that you wish to give this link.
- Copy/Paste the link to the website
- Select "Open as External Resource"
- Click "Create"
Step 5 - Check to see your Hyperlink Item is Added
Your item is now added.
- Check your link by clicking "Open in New Window" - It should take you to the webpage.
Step 6 - Check your Link in the Content Area
- Go back to content area and select the module where you added the link.
- Look for your link in the module activity area and click to see that it works.
Step 7 (Optional) - Edit your Link
- Click the drop down menu next to your link to edit the title or URL.
- Click "Edit Link"
Part II - Add to a Description
Part II will explain how to add a link within the text of a lesson or description.
Step 1 - Add your Module Description
Step 2 - Type Text into the Description Editor
This will bring up your description editor.
Type the description into the box.
Step 3 - Highlight the Text you Wish to Hyperlink
- Highlight text to be linked.
- Click on "Link" icon in the toolbar.
Step 4 - Select "URL" from the Menu
This will bring a menu of options.
At the bottom of the list: Select the "URL" option
Step 5 - URL, Title, Target Window*
- URL* field: Copy and Paste the hyperlink into the text field.
- Title* field: Check that the title is accurate. (Edits can be made to the title).
- Target * field: Click "New Window"
- Click "Insert"
Step 6 - Update
Notice that the text is now an underlined hyperlink.
- Click Update.
Step 7 - Check the Link
- Click the new hyperlink to check it for accuracy
*Note: The link should open the web page in a new window.