Western Michigan University is committed to accessibility in our online and Elearning course content for all students. In compliance with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 and WMU's Accessibility Guidelines. All faculty and instructional staff are asked to provide text alternatives to all non-text content being utilized in your course materials.
All videos, audio, and interactive media posted online must be captioned.
Mediasite does not offer automatic captions and transcripts. Share the MediaSite video URL on the Request Captions and Transcripts form to request captioning services. Turn-around time for caption requests is typically 2-3 business days.
Using the YouTube captions editor
- Go to your Video Manager.
- Next to the video you want to edit captions for, click Edit > Subtitles and CC.
- Click on the caption track you want to edit.
- Select a specific line in the caption track panel: On your keyboard, press the up or down arrow to adjust timing.
- Click Save changes.
Webex Captions and Transcripts
You can choose to transcribe automatically the audio of all Cisco Webex meetings and events sessions that you record to the cloud. The transcript displays when you or a student plays the recording. The transcript can be edited for accuracy.
- Play the meeting recording. The transcript appears to the right of the video.
- To find a keyword in the transcript, type a word or phrase in the search box. Matching results are highlighted in the transcript.
- If you're the host of the meeting and you want to edit the transcript text, click the pencil icon next to the text that you want to edit, edit the text, and click Save.
Microsoft Stream Captions and Transcripts
MS Stream automatically adds captions and transcripts to your video presentation. It is up to you to edit the transcripts for accuracy.
- Click the My Content tab and select the video from the drop-down menu.
- Select the video you want to edit transcripts/captions.
- Click Edit in the “Transcripts” window.
- When you are in Edit mode, you can select one segment at a time.
- Note: There are two buttons that appear next to the active segment. The gray button allows you to easily replay the current segment. The green button allows you to deselect the current segment when you are finished editing.
- Once you have completed the edits, select Save to exit Edit mode.
To Add a Video Presentation to your Elearning Content Area (Instructor)
- Scroll down to Share Presentation
- Select Copy to copy the URL link in the first box.
- Navigate to your course in Elearning
- Select Content from the toolbar.
- Select the module you wish to add it to.
- Select the New button.
- Select Create a Link from menu options.
- Title the link with a very clear descriptor such as the name of the week or lesson and the topic. Ex: Week 8 – Geology of the Grand Canyon
- Paste the URL.
- Check Open as External Resource. (This ensures that the video will open on any browser.)
- Select Create.