Applies to: Service Hub
Affiliation: Service Hub Technicians/Agents
Affiliation: Service Hub Technicians/Agents
Create a New Project
- Click the Projects tab along the top navigation bar
- Click the New button
Enter Project Information
- Title: Enter a unique and distinguishable title for the project.
- Project Description: Enter a one to two sentence description of the project work
- Project Code: Optional – If a unique identifier needs to be recorded. E.g. To reference a Facilities Management project code like P140163
- Site: Select the IT unit that is managing the project (OIT or a Distributed IT Unit)
- Project Type: Select the type of project (Decommission, Improvement, Maintenance, New Implementation, Organizational Development)
- Schedule Start/End: Enter the project’s expected start and end dates. They may be changed after planning.
- Requested By: The name of the requester or primary stakeholder of a project. May be an OIT or non-OIT person. You may search for any individual within WMU.
- Status: Select the current status of the project from the drop-down menu. (Initiation is Default)
- Owner: This is the Project Manager. If you are the project manager, select your name. If you are not the project manager, please leave it blank for now.
- Priority: Select a priority for the project based on the OIT Priority Matrix guidelines. 50 - Medium is Normal (Default).
- Projected On: DO NOT USE
- Estimated Hours and Cost: NOT REQUIRED
- Actual Hours, Cost and Start – Optional – Cost is highly recommended if known
- Strategy: REQUIRED for ALL OIT Staff – All OIT strategic initiatives are listed in the drop-down list. See the OIT Strategic Plan for the strategies list. Other Unit strategies may be added upon request to the Project Management Office.
- Risk: RECOMMENDED BUT NOT REQUIRED – Select the risk level associated with the project from the drop-down list. See the Risk Matrix for guidance
- IT Team: REQUIRED - Team must be selected for the project to appear in your department’s listing. All OIT departments are prefixed with “OIT –“
- Project File Space: Provide storage location directing project members to project documentation and other project materials. Enter the appropriate URL, MS Teams Name, etc.
- Click Save The Save and Add New button will save the current entry and open a screen to create a new project.
- The Project Details screen will appear. Click the Edit icon at any time to edit the project information.
Add Project Members
- Click the Members Tab
- Click the text of your current role assignment in the Project Role column
- Select either the Project Manager or Backup Project Manager.
DO NOT USE ANY of the OTHER available ROLES at this point
- To add additional project members, such as the actual Project Manager or the Backup Project Manager, click the Add Members button
- Click the drop-down box to show 50 per page.
- Click the Search Icon located on the far right side of the column headers
- Enter the last name of an OIT staff member in the Name field
- If you don’t know how to spell someone’s full name, use the wildcard symbol (*) in place of the unknown letter(s) (i.e. Mar*dt will find Thomas Marquardt)
- Click the Go Icon at the far right of the line of search boxes
- Click the check box next to the desired name from the search results. Note: Only select individuals who have a Project Role of Project Team Member since all Requesters (all accounts in WMU directory) are searched.
- Select a Project Role from the Assign Role drop-down menu, then click Add
- At a minimum, the project should have a Project Manager and a Backup Project Manager assigned. Both roles are identical in editing rights for the project, but it distinguishes the person ultimately responsible for the project.If you do not have a role in the project, you must be removed from the list. Unfortunately, you cannot delete yourself. The Project Manager or Backup Project Manager must remove you from the member list. Leave yourself on the list for now and create a task for the PM. Click Here for instructions on task creation.
- Return to the project’s Details tab. If the project Owner (this is the Project Manager) is unassigned or is assigned to you instead of the actual Project Manager, select the appropriate name from the Owner drop-down list. You MUST DO THIS if you are creating a new project and ARE NOT the Project Manager.
Verify Project Details
- When finished entering project details and project members, click the Projects breadcrumb link in the top left corner of the page
- From the Project Views list, select your department to view your department’s list of project
- Verify that your newly created project appears in your department’s or site’s list of projects. Click on the project to validate the Project Details