Platform: Microsoft PowerPoint 2016
Recording the Narration
- Create your slides
- Select Slide Show > Record Slide Show.
- Choose from two options:
- Start Recording from Beginning - to record from the beginning of a presentation.
- Start Recording from Current Slide - to record from a specific slide.
- Select Start Recording.
- Start speaking
- Speak through the end of the presentation slides
- The recording will end when the slideshow ends
Note: Audio won't record when slide transitions happen so let these play first before you start speaking.
Exporting as an Mp4
The PowerPoint slideshow recording should be exported as an Mp4 and loaded into a streaming service such as Mediasite so that students can access the lesson.
- Select File or Edit > Export.
- Choose Create a Video.
- Select the Create Video box.
- Name with a very clear descriptor such as the name of the week or lesson and the topic. Ex: Week 8 – Geology of the Grand Canyon
- Save the file to a folder where you will be able to locate it easily
Note: There will be a time remaining bar at the bottom of the slides when you save – wait for this to finish before closing.
Uploading the PowerPoint Presentation Mp4 to MediaSite
- Log in to Elearning
- Go to My Media Site
- Register if you have not already (You may have to click on the "Add Media" button to get to the registration screen)
- Select Add Media
- Select I want to upload a file from my computer
- Select the PowerPoint presentation Mp4
- Name the Presentation in MediaSite with a very clear descriptor such as the name of the week or lesson and the topic. Ex: Week 8 – Geology of the Grand Canyon
- Select Create Presentation
To Add the Presentation to your Elearning Content Area
- Scroll down to Share Presentation
- Select Copy to copy the URL link in the first box.
- Navigate to your course in Elearning
- Select Content from the toolbar.
- Select the module you wish to add it to.
- Select the New button.
- Select Create a Link from menu options.
- Title the link with a very clear descriptor such as the name of the week or lesson and the topic. Ex: Week 8 – Geology of the Grand Canyon
- Paste the URL.
- Check open as External Resource. (This ensures that the video will open on any browser.)
- Select Create.