If you are teaching a WMU Essential Studies course, a WES grade item and rubric have been copied into your Elearning course. To use the grade item and rubric,
1. Go to the home page of the course, and from the Assessments menu, select the Grades option.
2. In the gradebook, you should see a grade item called WES Rubric Assessment. This grade item is not visible to students, and is set up so that it is not included in any final grade calculation.
When you are ready to assess students based on the rubric criteria, click the menu next to the WES Rubric Assessment grade item, and click on the Enter Grades option.
3. This will bring up the grading screen for the WMU Essential Studies grade item. In the Assessment column on the far right of the students' names, click on the Rubric icon to launch the rubric.
4. From the Rubric screen, click on the box to the right of the specific criteria that corresponds to the student's proficiency (Exemplary, Proficient, Developing or Beginning).
5. Finish by assessing the student on all of the criteria, and then click the blue Publish button at the bottom of the Rubric screen.
6. Publishing the Rubric results will return you to the WMU Essential Studies enter grades page, where you can then go on to the next student until you are finished.
As a reminder, the students do not see these scores. The total scores and the letter grade are compiled because of the way the Rubric system works in Elearning, but those overall scores and letter grades are not used. Rather, the scores for each specific criteria are exported from the system and then aggregated across the university.
If you run into any problems or have any questions about this process, please contact the Faculty Technology Center at (269) 387-6958 or firstname.lastname@example.org