If you are teaching a WMU Essential Studies course, a WES grade item and rubric have been copied into your Elearning course. To use the grade item and rubric follow the steps below.
Step 1 - Navigate to Assessments and Grades
Step 2 - Access WES grade item in Gradebook
- In the gradebook, you should see a grade item called WES. This grade item is not visible to students, and is configured so that it is not included in any final grade calculation.
- When you are ready to assess students based on the rubric criteria, click the drop down menu next to the WES grade item, and click on the Enter Grades option.
Step 3 - Access Rubric
- This will bring up the grading screen for the WMU Essential Studies grade item.
- In the Assessment column to the far right of the students' names, click on the Rubric icon to launch the rubric.
Step 4 - Grade Rubric
- From the Rubric screen, click on the box corresponds to the student's proficiency in the rubric criteria (Exemplary, Proficient, Developing, or Beginning).
Step 5 - Publish Rubric
- Finish by assessing the student on all of the criteria, and then click the blue Publish button at the bottom of the Rubric screen.
- Publishing the Rubric results will return you to the WMU Essential Studies enter grades page, where you can then go on to the next student until you are finished.
- Students who have been previously assessed will display as "Done" on both the grade item screen and in the gradebook.
- As a reminder, the students do not see anything related to the rubric. The total score is compiled because of the way the Rubric system works in Elearning, but that overall scores is not used. Rather, the scores for each specific criteria are exported from the system and then aggregated across the university.
Step 6 - Save and Close
- When all students have been assessed be sure to click save and close to return to the gradebook.
If you run into any problems or have any questions about this process, please contact the Instructional Technology Center at (269) 387-6958 or email@example.com