The Groups tool allows instructors to create groups of students. Groups can then be attached to specific tasks or activities, such as Discussions or Assignment folders, to restrict access based on Group enrollment.
Step 1 - Access Groups
- Click communications
- Click Groups
Step 2 - Create Groups
1. Click on the New Category button at the top of the Manage Groups page.
2. On the New Category page, enter a Category Name that describes the purpose of these Groups, for example Discussions or Group Project Teams.
3. Select the down arrow in the Enrollment Type field to choose how you will configure the Groups:
- # of Groups - No Auto Enrollments: You choose how many groups and manually enroll participants.
- Groups of #: You choose how many participants you want enrolled in each group. D2L will auto-enroll participants.
- # of Groups: You choose the number of groups you want created. D2L will auto-enroll participants.
- Groups of # - Self Enrollment: You choose how many participants you want enrolled in each group. D2L will create the appropriate number of groups. Participants select which group to enroll in.
- # of Groups - Self Enrollment: You choose the number of groups you want created. Participants select which group to enroll in. Please note that there is no way to cap enrollments if you choose this option.
- # of Groups, Capacity of # - Self Enrollment: You choose the number of groups you want with a maximum number of students in each group. Participants can enroll in a group until capacity is reached.
- Single user, member-specific groups: You can create a group for each individual student in the course. This option allows each student to have a private area in the Discussion tool for activities such as one-to-one discussion with the instructor or individual journaling that only the instructor can read and respond to.
4. Enter the Number of Groups and/or the Number of Users, depending on the type of enrollment you have chosen.
5. Click on the Show Advanced Properties link if needed to see the Groups Options. If you have chosen an auto-enroll option, you may choose to automatically enroll participants who join the class after the Groups have been created and/or to randomly assign users in Groups (default is alphabetical order by last name).
6. If you have chosen one of the Self-Enrollment options, the Groups Options will allow you to set an expiration date for self enrollment and to assign unenrolled students into Groups after the expiration date.