Platform: W-Exchange, Mail List Manager, and other systems that send university email
Options for Emailing a List of Addresses
Self-managed (static) lists
Self-managed (static) lists are managed by the owner who can add and remove approved senders and recipients using the Mail List Manager.
Dynamic Lists are generated by the system and will include anyone who meets the criteria that the list was defined for. Allowed senders may also view members of a dynamic list using the Mail List Manager.
One-time lists are created and used once, for a specific purpose.
Course distribution lists
Course distribution lists are generated automatically and can be used by an instructor to email an entire class. These lists are dynamically updated based on course enrollment.
Microsoft Teams is a chat-based workspace in W-Exchange which provides several collaboration features. Besides the ability for a mailing list, Teams also offer chats, SharePoint, OneDrive, Planner, and other options.
Requirements of the use of Email Lists
Individuals utilizing WMU mailing lists shall abide by the following requirements and shall not violate WMU's mass email and other policies. Any person found to be in violation of university policy will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action as defined.
Dynamic and self-managed
- Must be University-related.
- Must be sponsored by WMU faculty or staff member.
- Membership is not limited to WMU.
- The expected traffic levels should be moderate.
- Name is in the format of dept-group at wmich.edu.
- Messages cannot be archived.
- Can be moderated or members only.
- Members cannot self join.
One-time mailing lists
- Generated for a specific purpose.
- Take approximately four hours to add to the email system.
- Must be sponsored by faculty or staff.
- Generally usable for only a few days.
Related Rules and Policies