Platform: Windows, macOS
Western Michigan University uses the Mediasite platform to provide video streaming, hosting, and video capture services to the University community. You can use Mediasite for:
- Screen Casting: Record what is on your screen. Options include audio/video of you and what is on your screen.
- Slide Capture: Record the slides of a presentation in PowerPoint, Google Slides, etc.
- Audio Capture: Display one slide and record a podcast or other audio presentation.
- Audio Recording: Record exclusively audio.
- Video Recording: Record exclusively video.
- Uploading Existing Media: Already have a video file? Upload the mp4 for easy sharing in Elearning.
Mediasite has two components: Mediasite Mosaic recorder and the Mediasite Portal.
Mediasite Mosaic is a desktop application used to capture audio and video to create recordings. You must have this downloaded in order to record and automatically upload videos to the Mediasite Portal. See the Quick Start Guides section below for instructions to install the Mediasite Mosaic application.
The Mediasite Portal is where your media will be stored. It is linked to your BroncoNet ID - so it is important to make sure you complete the registration at the end of the MDR download. This will link the account and your media and allow you to access all of your created and uploaded media in any course.
Quick Start Guides
Install & Register Mediasite Mosaic
- Log in to Elearning and then click the My Media Site tab.
- Click the Add Presentation button.
- Click the More Information button below the heading Capturing video requires an app.
- Click the Download button under the Mediasite Mosaic heading. You will see respective links to download Mediasite Mosaic from both the Windows Store and the Mac App Store. You can also find direct download links below:
Download Mediasite Mosaic for Windows
Download Mediasite Mosaic for macOS
- Once downloaded and installed, return to the My Media Site window in your browser and click the Register button. Your browser should prompt for permission to open the Mediasite Mosaic application. Click to allow, and then the Mediasite Mosaic application should open and complete registration to associate with your Bronco NetID.
Once the app has been registered to your Bronco NetID, you are now ready to record. Completed recordings will be automatically uploaded to your Mediasite Portal.
- Mediasite: Share a link to your video in Elearning
- WMU Resource: Teaching and Learning Resources - Lecture Recording and Streaming
Want to learn how to upload a video to Brightspace, or how to create a quiz in your Mediasite video? Mediasite offers on-demand training on the tool on MediasiteU. The modules are self-paced and you can select the content you would like to learn about and skip the content you are not interested in. If you are unsure of what features are available at WMU or have further questions, contact the WMU HelpDesk and they will point you in the right direction.