The use of web conferencing and live streaming for events has become a valuable tool to transform our teaching, learning, and work. However, undesired attendees and disruptions can be detrimental to these experiences. When hosting online meetings and events it is important to ensure that the appropriate technology is being used, it is configured for participant security, and that hosts are trained to use tools and techniques to moderate content and dialogue.
Choose the Appropriate Technology
If you are hosting an event that meets the following criteria, we recommend utilizing live streaming
- The event is public, including attendees outside of the University.
- No registration or admittance control will be used.
- No proprietary or sensitive information will be shared.
- No audio/video participation is required by attendees.
Contact your departmental IT support staff for assistance with live streaming.
Web Conferencing Software
For all other online meetings and events please use the Univerity's supported Web conferencing software and follow the appropriate steps below.
Secure the Meeting
Learn more about; locking and unlocking your meeting, utilizing built-in registration features, disabling sharing for attendees, removing a participant from your meeting, and setting host privileges (alternate, cohost, and presenter).
Additional Tools for Meeting Registration & RSVP
In addition to the features included in web conferencing software, the following software is available at WMU to collect attendee contact information before a meeting or event to validate and add to an approved attendee list.
Distributing Meeting Information
- Do not share or post-meeting details on publicly accessible websites, social media, or other publicly accessible channels.
- Provide meeting passwords only to users who need them.
- Do not send the meeting password in the same email as the invitation.
- Do not share your Audio PIN with anyone.
Moderating the Meeting and Content
- Share only specific windows, and not your entire screen.
- Never share sensitive information in your meeting until you are certain who is in attendance.
- Use a trained moderator host who has the skills and ability to stop issues should they occur.