Accessing Discussion Boards with Jaws
There are two different options to access your Elearning Discussions, through the Contents page or through the Communications button.
Accessing the Discussion Board through the Contents Page:
- Go to Contents by typing JAWS Key + F7 which opens the links list view.
- Arrow down until you hear Contents and press enter.
- Type JAWS Key + F7 which opens the links list view.
- Arrow down until you hear the Module name that you are working within. Press enter.
This moves you within the page to the section with that module and opens up the lists
of readings, discussions, quizzes, and assignments.
- Press L which will open the list of assignments within that module. It will tell you how
many items are within the topic module.
- Press the Down/Up arrow to navigate to the discussion board desired. JAWS will first name
the assignment/discussion and then the next arrow press will tell you the type of item.
- Press Enter to open the discussion board.
Accessing the Discussion Board through the Communications button
- Go to the Communications button by typing B multiple times until you hear
the communications menu button. Press Enter.
- Press Tab and then the Down Arrow until you hear Discussions. Press Enter. This brings you to the discussions page with a list of discussions for the class.
- Press 3 to move to the individual discussion under heading 3. Continue pressing 3 until you
find the discussion desired. Press Space or Enter.
Once within the specific discussion board, you are able to do the following:
Read through the thread (a series of discussions within the module discussion topic)
- Press 2 which will move you to heading level 2 the name of the discussion topic. If you
keep pressing 2 it will cycle through all of the entries.
- Press Enter to read the entry.
- Press 2 to move you to the actual post.
- JAWS Key + Down Arrow to read the entire discussion post.
Post a Response
If there are responses to the post, you can press 2 and it will name the person who has
- To read the response JAWS Key + Down Arrow will allow your to read the response.
- To return to the thread, JAWS KEY + CTRL + B and find the topic button.
- Press Enter twice. Continue back with pressing 2 to cycle through other discussion topics within the thread.
Reply to a thread.
Follow these steps for reading through the thread:
- Press B to find the Reply to Thread button and press Enter. You can also reply to the author of a response by finding the Reply to (Author’s Name) button. It places the edit cursor into the body of the text. Type your response.
- Press JAWS Key + CTRL + B.
- Arrow Down to Post and press enter. (another option: Press tab to move outside of the text body multiple times.
- You can add an attachment, subscribe to the thread, etc. Press Space or Enter when on the Post button.
Start a new thread.
Follow these steps to Start a New Discussion Thread:
- On the discussion list page, press JAWS Key + CTRL + B then arrow down to Start a New
- Press Enter two times. (another option: Press B multiple times to find the Start a New Thread button.) This will put you in the subject edit text box. Type in the title of your subject.
- Press Tab to move to the body text box. Type in the body of your post.
- Press JAWS Key + CTRL + B. Arrow down to Post and press enter. (another option: Press tab to move outside of the text body multiple times. You can add an attachment, subscribe to the thread, etc. Press space or enter when on the Post button.)